Wednesday, August 8, 2012

You know the difference between you and me? I make this look good.

Hey there family, Can I just tell you something real quick. Life is funny, and never easy. And if think that we deserve an easy life we for sure haven´t read the scriptures enough. That said, I´m for sure looking forward to my first "p-day" in casa when I´m going to take a very loooong nap. 

First - transfers. Nothing changed. I´m still in Zarate II, and I´m still with Hermana Lobos. Hermana Whitehead and Hermana Erickson are still in Campana II - so life is pretty good. We got a super awkward despedido phone call this morning from the only Elder that left from the district. He called everyone, so it wasn´t inappropriate, it was just weird. It´s always weird, it´s happened a couple of times. They call, and give a little shout out to every person (Elder Burgas kindly wished me a happy death and that I baptize a lot this transfer....thanks Elder). And Hermana Lobos and I kept saying. "okay....bye!....okay.....bye. Bye Elder. Thanks Elder, bye." Despedidas should be like bandaids. Just take them off real quick and then throw it in the trash. I´ll be seeing you again. On facebook if not in person. Geesh. Elderes. I never knew that people could get so sentimental. I mean, I know I´m funny.....but that is ridiculous. 

We moved! And we have light! When we moved we just had a bunch of cables hanging from the ceiling, we lacked the portolamparas. I don´t know what it´s called in english. the thingymajig that you put the bulb in. Anyways, we have those now. We spent the first couple of minutes with the lightbulbs singing "divina luz con esplendor benigno, alumbrame!" Okay, I was singing Divina Luz. My companion just listened. What else did we do? Oh, well, we went back to work. It was a pretty rough week, work wise. Everything just seemed to be off a bit until Sunday. With all the moving and what not it was super hard to have daily contact with our investigators, and in the end we didn´t have anyone at church on sunday. Blegh, hate that. But we showed our faith and went to their houses directly after church to re-fijar the fechas! They will all get baptized......someday. but we will be like Ammon and Alma and baptize nations for OUR faith. Because God is very involved in the work and wants us to be successful. 

Things did start looking up Sunday night. We set up a cita with a recent convert at church and then asked another member to accompany us. Well, this member just happens to be the Young Adult representative so she asked if we could make it a FHE thing. Sure! Why not? Miembro Justo! So we end up having this FHE with 6 people, and we decide to play charades with the commandments (10 commandments + a few additionals). And it was funny - because it doesn´t matter if you are in Argentina, or the U.S. if you´re 20 or 30 - you will still feel dumb acting something out in front of a group of your closest friends. (Why? You´re friends because you do dumb things together. I´m pretty sure that´s part of the definition of friendship...) Or maybe they weren´t as good of friends as I thought. Either way, it was doubly funny because I´m sitting there thinking it will be the easiest thing in the world  - there are only 10 commandments and the others are pray, read. We do these things in church all the time. Primary answers. But it was harder then they thought. It´s one of those "oh, I can recognize the answer, but can´t come up with it myself" type of moments. And it was great because we read Mosiah 2:41 afterwards which talks about the blessings of keeping the commandments and enduring to the end. And we talked about how it´s hard to keep commandments when we don´t know what they are. So as members of the church, we have made promises to keep these commandments, we better know what we should be keeping. So we need to keep coming to church, reading, praying, to know what it is that God wants us to do. 

Also, we need to be sure that we are interpreting the commandments correctly. Because every person was acting out the commandment, but sometimes in a way that we had no idea what they were doing. So, even though we knew the commandment, we just stared blankly at them...or burst out laughing. So, we need to be sure that we are keeping the commandments in a way that those around us, recognize what we are doing. (Something akin to being an example of the believers.) It was a good little devotional. They all had a good time, we taught our recent convert. And then we were able to talk about the mission for a bit. 2 of the YA´s have received mission calls (one to Colombia the other to Neuquen), one is thinking about going on a mission, and our recent convert is 18 - and prepping himself to serve a mission. The other was our ward mission leader - who has served a mission. He helped out a lot and had some funny stories to share. But, all the current or returned missionaries gave heartfelt testimonies that the mission is the best thing that they had ever done. I sure like it. 

All right, that´s all for now. I´ll talk to you next week!

Hermana Reed

o P.D. i don´t really know my duties specifically for the temple, or when. I still don´t know the schedules, but all we will be doing is talking to the visitors in the reception hall - to answer questions, and we will be part of an opening movie that introduces the temple. We won´t be giving tours. But it will still be cool to work there. :)

Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment